Now that you have conquered your fear of public speaking, it is time to start marketing yourself as not only an author but a public speaker.
In order to succeed as a public speaker you not only need the preparation we have discussed in previous posts. If you missed them, you can find all of them here. Become a Successful Public Speaker.
You also need to promote yourself to others as a public speaker.
There are a few speakers who no longer have to market themselves and are plenty busy. The other 92% have to work at promotion. Some tips in this area:
- Study marketing.
- Study cold calling.
- Read books on being even more charming than you already are.
- Delegate some of your marketing to employees or virtual assistants.
- Hire someone to do the promotion for you.
If you are delegating some or all or your marketing, keep a close eye on those people so you see that they are presenting you and your brand in fresh, compelling ways.
1. Make sure you have your avatar (ideal person you are speaking to) nailed down.
While your speech might be incredibe and you feel everyone in the world will want to hear it, it is best to focus on the ideal person. Be as specific as you can. Ask yourself the following:
- Where do they live?
- What kind of house do they have?
- What care do they drive?
- How many children?
- Are they married?
- Do they have expendable income?
- Where do they shop?
- What do they do in their free time?
- What TV shows do they watch?
- How comfortable are they with technology?
- What kind of phone do they have?
- What kind of work do they do?
Nail these down and promoting yourself as a speaker will be so much easier.
2. Get over your shyness and talk about your speaking platform.
Talk about it when networking, talk about it on social media, in blog posts, on your about page, and profiles. There is also the option of hiring a PR firm like Perceptive Public Relations to help you get the message out. We specialize in helping your reatk through, get noticed, and be known.
3. Create a buzz and keep it going.
Find new reasons and angles to promote yourself. Connect your message with a current event, holiday, or prediction. It is important to find ways to keep your particular message fresh.
Make a decision to give yourself your best shot at public speaking succees by promoting yourself. Soon you will be able to change lives and inspire others.
If you need help getting the work out about your public speaking abilities, Consider contacting Perceptive Public Relations for a free consultation.