1. Know who you are
- What makes you tick?
- What do you value?
- Know your strengths and weaknesses.
- What are you passionate about?
- What makes your skin crawl?
2. Project confidence
- Attitude Matters – Be Positive!
- Trust yourself.
- Have a list of your accomplishments.
- Be willing to take risks.
- Be realistic.
- See possibilities or opportunities rather than failure.
3. Know exactly where you want to go
You should be able to explain:
- Who are you?
- What do you do?
- Where do you want to go,
- What are you looking for?
You need to know exactly what you want to achieve or no one can help you get there.
4. Learn the Skill of Storytelling
People love a story and will remember it long after they have forgotten a string of facts. So learn to tell a good story.
People love stories, says McDonald, so tell them a story. It also makes it easier for others to remember you later on.
If you want people to remember you, tell them a story and make sure it’s good. Let the listener wanting more!
5. Know Your Fears
- What is holding you back? Own it and deal with it. Work through the fears so you can sell yourself.
Some of the fears my clients and I have dealt with include:
“I don’t want to brag.” or “That is not professional.“
I have to be perfect!
“They won’t like me.”
Relying on “should” statements.
Not believing you are good enough.
Learning how to sell yourself is a learned skill. We are not born with the ability to sell ourselves. Yes, it comes easier to some, but we all can improve and get better at it. Using these tips will help you to improve and before you know it, you will feel comfortable putting yourself out there.
If you need help with your Marketing and PR efforts, or getting comfortable selling yourself, give Perceptive Public Relations a call.